Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Shadow Sculpture

These are two sculptures I had created around 2004/05'.
I thought it would be a good learning experience for me to shoot them and hone in on my studio skills, because I mostly shoot in the field and not in a controlled environment.

Both of these pieces are my representation of Carl Jung's archetype of "The Shadow."




How I shot the pieces (picture below):

I found a nice piece of glass (cleaned it) and thought that would be perfect for a clean floor which also adds a nice reflection to the sculpture.
I had to rig up how I was going to suspend the glass and all I could find a the time were my stands. They did a good job and if I didn't show you the photo below. No one would have ever known the difference.
I used an on-camera flash with a softbox for fill and a remote flash to completely blowout the background to get that pro-white look. The remote flash also adds some highlights to the edges of the piece.

No comments: